Whalefest Monterey Launches Ocean-Themed 2020 Student Summer Essay Contest
Let’s all encourage our youth to “amp up” their ocean literacy by viewing fascinating video presentations from the January, 2020 Whalefest Monterey’s 2-Day Symposium and enable them to possibly win a cash prize.
The organizers of Whalefest Monterey and Fisherman’s Wharf Association invite students in grades 6-12 in Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties, to participate in the Whalefest Monterey Ocean-Themed 2020 Student Summer Essay Contest.
According to Mary Alice Cerrito Fettis, Chair of Whalefest Monterey, “We are asking our youth to write a thoughtful essay about how a topic presented at the Whalefest Monterey 2020 Symposium directly impacts or could impact their life in the future. We are very excited about this essay contest that helps to educate, inspire and empower our next generations to explore and protect the biodiversity of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
At a Glance
- Whalefest Monterey Ocean-Themed 2020 Student Summer Essay Contest opens June 8, 2020
- Submissions are due no later than 12:00 Noon on Monday, July 20, 2020
- Go to the Whalefest Monterey page on www.montereywharf.com for rules and Symposium topics
- Select a video presentation to view from the YouTube Whalefest Monterey videos listed for Whalefest Monterey 2020.
- Essays will be judged on originality of thought and clarity of prose.
- The completed essay should use 12-Point Times New Roman font and be submitted in pdf file format.
- Three $100 prizes will be awarded for students entering grades 6 to 8 for a 300-500 word essay, one per grade.
- Four $100 prizes will be awarded for students entering grades 9 to 12 for a 500-1000 word essay, one per grade
- Winners will be notified by September 14, 2020
- Submit entries to: [email protected]
- More details on the Whalefest Monterey page on the website, www.montereywharf.com
- More information: [email protected] or 831-238-0777
About Whalefest Monterey
The 11th Annual Whalefest Monterey will be held at and around Old Fisherman’s Wharf, Custom House Plaza – Monterey State Historic Park in Monterey, California, The Whale Watching Capital of the World on Saturday, January 30th and Sunday, January 31st, 2021 from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. This outstanding educational 2-day Whalefest Monterey and Symposium is hosted by Presenting Sponsor Monterey’s Old Fisherman’s Wharf Association.
Whalefest Monterey is a free, fun and educational interactive family event for all ages on Old Fisherman’s Wharf that celebrates the biodiversity of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and much more! The event, which features a 2-day Symposium with world-renowned marine experts and dozens of exhibit booths, benefits many local and national marine organizations that educate, inspire, and empower the public to protect the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary (MBNMS). There will also be a variety of live musical entertainment at the head of the Wharf
Whale watchers come from around the world to view hundreds of whales, orcas, dolphins and pelicans that continue to feast on a “krill and anchovy buffet” in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. Throughout the year, this Whale Watching Capital of the World offers sightings of 15 species of whales, 10 species of dolphins, 2 species of porpoise, 6 species of pinnipeds and 1 species of Fissiped (sea otter).
Corporate Sponsors and Donations
Donations can be made and corporate sponsorships are available now for the 11th Annual Whalefest Monterey. Please contact Mary Alice Cerrito Fettis at [email protected] for more details. Marine Life Studies is the 501(c)3 non-profit fiscal sponsor of Whalefest Monterey.
For more information about Whalefest Monterey, go to the Whalefest page on www.montereywharf.com or call (831) 238-0777.